Founder and CEO
Brian Watson is the Founder and CEO of Northstar Commercial Partners (“Northstar”). In this capacity he manages the firm’s overall business, new initiatives, investment strategies and all major investment decisions, as well as sits on the investment committee of all investment activities. Since founding the firm in 2000, Brian has positioned Northstar as a leading multi-faceted, vertically-integrated real estate company. Northstar’s line of business, which is value-add real estate focused on job creation, is currently one of the premier acquirers of vacant and/or value-add properties in markets throughout the United States. Northstar focuses on buying these assets from lenders, corporations and other owners, then improving and placing them back into productivity in order to create jobs and opportunities in their local communities while delivering attractive returns to its investors. To date, Brian has personally overseen the acquisition of over $650.8 million of property value and has purchased over 12.5 million square feet in 137 separate properties with his capital investors. The current portfolio consists of assets in 17 states in the U.S. and has a potential market value of over $1.3 billion.
Brian began his career at Cushman & Wakefield of Colorado, Inc. (C&W), an international commercial real estate firm. During his seven year tenure at this firm, he had the distinction of being the youngest broker in company history to qualify for a Directorship title, which was a direct result of his consistent high production and comprehensive understanding of commercial real estate.
Though Brian performed tenant representation, he primarily focused on landlord representation for the majority of his career at C&W. He represented clients such as Lend Lease Real Estate, CarrAmerica Realty LP, P&O Investments/Denver Technological Center, Mission Viejo Companies, Shea Properties, Terrabrook, ERE/Yarmouth and acted as agent for two major Colorado office parks, Highlands Ranch and Stonegate. He also received C&W’s prestigious Service Excellence Award for his superior ability to handle complex, high value transactions. Mr. Watson’s extensive education and experience in the real estate industry has been instrumental to the success of Northstar Commercial Partners.
Brian is a graduate of the University of Colorado at Boulder, where he received a BS with an emphasis in Real Estate. Brian has lived in Colorado since 1981, and grew up in Olathe on the Western Slope of Colorado.
The business model of Northstar focuses on having a positive impact on its investors, tenants, vendors, local community, and world at large by creating jobs and opportunity through profitable commercial real estate investments. Brian has a deep sense of faith that compels him to find the good in people and leave the world a better place than it was when he was born into it. For this reason, he contributes a portion of his fees and interests from his business endeavors and donates them to charitable projects in his community and abroad. Brian’s initiatives stretch throughout the globe with a focus on bridging the gap between people of different faiths and cultures. You can learn more about this and other initiatives at: www.brianwatson.us
- Opportunity Coalition – Founder and CEO
- Leadership Program of the Rockies – President 2015 Class and Current Board of Advisors Member
- National Western Stock Show Association – Lifetime Member
- Colorado Commission on Family Medicine for the 6th Congressional District – Past Board Member appointed by the Governor of Colorado
- Colorado NFIB (National Federation of Independent Business) – Leadership Council Member The Colorado Association of Commerce and Industry – Member
- Energy and Environment Council and the Governmental Affairs Council – Chairman’s Roundtable Member
- CXO – A List Member
- TAPS (the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors) – Past Finance Committee Member and Supporter
- Colorado Republican Party – Past State Chairman of the Finance Committee
- Council for Opportunity International – Board of Governors; President’s Council
- International Board of Directors for Mercy Ships – Past Executive Committee Member
- Brokers Benefiting Kids (a Denver based non-profit that raises financial support for multiple children’s charities in Colorado) – Past President and Board Member
- Metro Denver Executive Club – Past Member
- Citywide Banks – Past Advisory Board Member
- Alliance for Choice in Education – Past Chairman of the Advisory Board
- Save our Youth (a Denver based inner city youth mentoring program) – Past Chairman of the Board of Directors and youth mentor